Another year has gone by and oh what a year it was. There was a plethora of alternates introduced from NHL teams during the fall of 2018 and 2019 will be no shortage of new jersey releases either. Icethetics is offering the expected changes that might during the next year and we’ll give you our take on what the new jerseys could look like and in some cases, what it should like look like.
- 2019 THIRD JERSEY: Expected. Yes, we’re going on this ride one more time! The Ducks debuted a new third jersey with some throwback elements for their 25th anniversary — but this is a one-off jersey for the 2018-19 season only. It’s been reported that the Ducks will return to their orange third jersey in 2019-20 and I think that’s a safe bet.
- Our take: We think the orange eggplant jersey will come back as well. Knowing Adidas and how they love to utilize the neck, they’ll throw in “Anaheim” in gold writing along the inside of the collar as well as adding an “OC” shoulder patch on one side. OC meaning Orange County which is based in Southern California.
- 2019 THIRD JERSEY: Expected. The Bruins will rejoin the third jersey fray in 2019-20, but what design will they use? They have no shortage of outdoor jerseys from recent years. Will they go with something familiar or completely new?
- Our Take: We think it’ll be the 2019 Winter Classic jersey. It is arguably the best looking Bruins Winter Classic jersey released to date. Lots of teams have used their previous outdoor game jerseys as alternates this season and that list includes the Flyers, Penguins, Blues, Kings, and Senators.
- 2019 THIRD JERSEY: Expected. Buffalo is in the mix for a third jersey in 2019-20. Could it finally be the royal blue throwback fans have been begging for?
- 50TH ANNIVERSARY: The Sabres will turn 50 in 2020, so the question is whether the team will mark the milestone anniversary in 2019-20 or 2020-21. I haven’t seen anything definitive yet. (For what it’s worth, they marked their 40th in 2010-11 along with the Canucks. But the Canucks have already made plans to celebrate their 50th in 2019-20. So take that however you choose.)
- Our Take: We’re going out on a limb with this one and say that it’ll be a brand new jersey combining elements of the 2018 Winter Classic except it’ll be the home version of it. It’ll have a graphic of New York State along the shoulders plus the jersey itself will have a royal blue body with a large yellow stripe along the waist that has a white outline along the top and bottom of the yellow.
- 40TH ANNIVERSARY: The Flames celebrated 30 years in Calgary during 2009-10, so in my mind the 40th is possible in 2019-20. The franchise relocated from Atlanta in 1980. It doesn’t mean much other than possibly some shoulder patches. They’re already wearing their original jersey as a third.
- Our Take: Despite no news of any changes, we think Calgary will make a surprise move with the direction on what they’ll wear for their home and road game jerseys. Just like Philadelphia in 2012, Edmonton in 2011 and Pittsburgh in 2016, Calgary will use their alternates full time and introduce the matching road jersey along with it. They should do it for their 40th anniversary. The timing couldn’t be better.
- 2019 ROAD JERSEY: Redesign expected. It’s been reported that Hurricanes owner Tom Dundon is not a fan of his team’s white road sweater. That’s been backed up by the new Adidas catalog which indicates a new design is coming in 2019-20. Will they redesign it to match the home sweater or try something new? What if it wasn’t white at all? What if it was a light grey like the outline of their logo?
- As an aside, the Hurricanes are the first team in years to provoke a regular season color-vs-color game by wearing their home red jerseys on the road against the Ducks who wore black. And with the Whalers jersey coming back this year, I’m not sure any Canes jersey prediction is safe!
- THROWBACK JERSEY: Speaking of the Whalers, the green jerseys will show up at least once more in 2019 (March 5 in Boston). But given the very mixed reaction — the displeasure of many New Englanders in particular — do we think we’ll see these again beyond the 2018-19 season? For what it’s worth, 2019 marks 40 years since the Whalers originally joined the NHL after the WHA folded in 1979.
- Our Take: We agree with the road jersey redesign. The current roadies aren’t as good as the home sweaters. As for the Whalers jerseys, they’ll be back for another 2 matches next season. They’ll keep the current 3rd jerseys as it is.
- 2019 HOME & ROAD JERSEYS: Expected. The biggest surprise of the catalog was seeing new primary uniforms listed for the Blackhawks in 2019-20. That would be insanity! Or would it? Chicago’s jerseys are untouchable and everyone knows it. Don’t forget Montreal was in this position in 2015 before they simply revealed a new collar design, leaving everything else alone. Is that what the Hawks are doing? They haven’t used a lace-up collar since 1965, but could it be back in 2019-20? As much as I dislike the Adidas collars, some have grown on me. Chicago’s has not. At all.
- Our take: We think some tweaking will be done on the neck but nothing more than that. If anything, they’ll make a black alternate jersey just like the two previous times they had alternates in 2003 and 2009.
DETROIT RED WINGS
- 2019 THIRD JERSEY: Expected. The Red Wings have never had a regular third jersey so this is big news! Like the Bruins, they have a number of outdoor jerseys to consider but they could also surprise us with an entirely new design. Time will tell.
- Our Take: We think that the Wings will come out with something new but with the big D as the centerpiece on a new concept, similar to the Winter Classic in 2009, except, it’ll be in red.
- THIRD JERSEY: Expected. The Oilers are lined up for a new third jersey in 2019-20, but there’s really only one of two ways to go. Either they promote the royal blue retro jersey from this season or they try a navy blue version of their home jersey — much like the AHL’s Bakersfield Condors have. But since I’ve never seen an NHL team follow an AHL team’s lead in terms of jerseys, the former is more likely.
- Our Take: No way, Jose. We believe the latter is expected. The dark blue will look really good on the body and having a orange stripe along the bottom will make it all the better.
- 2019 THIRD JERSEY: Expected. Just three years after their rebrand, the Panthers will add a new third jersey! The most obvious choice, would be a navy blue design with the modernized leaping cat front and center.
- Our Take: We agree with this one. A dark blue body will look really good with a gold and white stripe along the waist.
- 2019 THIRD JERSEY: Expected. The Wild are in the mix for a new alternate uniform in 2019-20 but as for what it will look like, your guess is as good as mine. Will they go back to red again like their first third jersey in 2003?
- 20TH ANNIVERSARY: I know, last time. Like Columbus, the Wild turn 20 in 2020. But also like Columbus, their 10th anniversary was in 2010-11, so we’ll probably see this in 2020-21. That is all.
- Our Take: Knowing the Wild, they’ll always try something new with their design. I think they’ll slap a giant M (Just like the one on their shoulder patch) on the front of their jersey with a couple of stars engraved on the letter. Having a circle around it and on the outline it’ll say something like “Minnesota Wild Hockey Club.” The body of the jersey should still be green.
- 2019 THIRD JERSEY: Expected. The Predators will be back in the third jersey fray for 2019-20! They haven’t used one since redesigning their logo and uniforms in 2011. An obvious design choice would be navy blue, but as with the Panthers, I hope they do something a bit more interesting.
- Our Take: Please do make the navy blue uniforms. Those were some the best looking alternates that Reebok ever designed.
NEW YORK RANGERS
- 2019 THIRD JERSEY: Expected. Another Original Six team will add a new third jersey in 2019-20! Will the navy blue Heritage jersey return? Maybe the Lady Liberty design from the late ’90s? Or will we be treated to something all new?
- Our Take: We see Navy Blue being a big trend in 2019 so it’ll be no surprise if the Rangers make a Navy Blue alternate as well. The Rangers are also very good at designing Winter Classic uniforms so they might just throw in the 2018 Winter Classic as their alternate.
- 2019 THIRD JERSEY: Expected. Because the Adidas catalog lists the Senators with other teams getting new thirds in 2019-20, I don’t think we’ll see the red NHL100 Classic jersey again. It’s more likely the Sens get something new.
- Our Take: The Sens need new primaries, period. The leftover Reebok uniforms they currently wear aren’t doing it anymore for the Sens and they really need to do some soul searching. Even having the vintage “O” jerseys they wore as alternates would be a better fit for a primary. At least that represents history. The Sens also released 6 different logos to their season ticket holders and they had a vote on what designs looked the best. The winning designs would be used for future consideration when designing their next uniforms.
TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING
- 2018-19 THIRD JERSEY: Expected. Icethetics obtained images of the new Lightning third jersey in November. At that time, I was told by multiple sources that the jersey was still a work in progress and that certain elements had yet to be finalized — elements not seen in the leaked image (could mean things like number font, nameplate, helmet color, pants, or socks).
- LAUNCH DATE: I’ve also been told a January launch is likely, though the Lightning have yet to say anything official on the subject. It could be the NHL’s first January third jersey debut since 1997 when the Bolts introduced their first-ever alternate uniform.
- Our Take: The photos that Icethetics released will only be a starting point to what Tampa will do with their alternate uniform. The fade from grey to black doesn’t look nice and one can only hope that will be changed until the official release.
TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS
- 2018-19 THROWBACK JERSEY: Expected. Icethetics obtained images of a Toronto St. Pats throwback jersey in the Adizero cut. A source told me the St. Pats jerseys could be returning late in the 2018-19 likely as a one-off throwback for St. Patrick’s Day rather than a proper third jersey worn more often.
- NOTES: The Leafs wore the St. Pats uniform for a game during the 2016-17 season as part of their 100th anniversary celebration.
- Our Take: The Leafs should wear these uniforms during Patrick’s Day. They are gorgeous and resemble a lot of team history. Other than that, we expect no changes from here on in.
- 2019 HOME & ROAD JERSEYS: Expected. After the Blackhawks, the other big surprise from the Adidas catalog was seeing new primary sweaters listed for the Canucks in 2019-20! It’s unclear whether the Canucks are working on sweeping changes or maybe just updating the crest to remove the superfluous “Vancouver” arched across the top. But I also wouldn’t be that shocked to see a new primary logo to coincide with the 50th anniversary.
- 2019 THIRD JERSEY: Confirmed. Canucks COO Jeff Stipec told TSN in August that there will be a new third jersey in 2019-20 — in addition to the throwback sweater fans voted for over the summer. The Adidas catalog does corroborate this.
- 2019 THROWBACK JERSEY: Confirmed. In addition to the new third, the Canucks will wear a throwback jersey for select games in 2019-20. After an online fan vote, the team determined they will use their 1989 “Flying Skate” design.
- Our Take: There’s a lot to digest here. The Canucks are on the verge of celebrating their 50th anniversary. My guess is that the Canucks want to make the anniversary a grand all-year party. I believe the Canucks will do something completely new with the primaries. There is no real projection as to what they’ll do but I think Johnny Canuck grabbing an Orca by the fin would be epic. And if you somehow mix in some black from the flying skate jersey and some blue and green from the current jersey in, a masterpiece can be created. Having a third and throwback adds to the already big changes coming to Vancouver. A move that Vancouver might make for their thirds is having a green jersey with a white faded Orca on the center to make it look like whitecaps in the water. Eventually, I think Vancouver will make a jersey that’ll bring the Seattle/Vancouver rivalry to life.
VEGAS GOLDEN KNIGHTS
- 2019 THIRD JERSEY: Expected. The Golden Knights are not the kind of team to waste time. They went to the Stanley Cup Final in their first season and in their third they’ll add a third jersey! There are so many great possibilities for a Vegas third jersey so I’m eager to see where they end up.
- Our Take: Vegas’ third will be red with an alternate logo. A sword and shield combo is likely as well as a knight on horseback characterization. A must is to incorporate gold and black to make it look intimidating. If not, let’s hope they have a better idea.
- THROWBACK JERSEY: The Jets are breaking out their Heritage Classic jersey twice in 2018-19 and the team says it will be used at least once a season going forward. Keep an eye on that for 2019-20.
- Our Take: Stay the course with heritage throwbacks. They look amazing. I really wish the Jets would change the road uniforms. Having the light blue stripes going over the blue arm stripe is a poor taste. Change that and the dark blue arm striping to a something simpler would make the jersey way better. Unfortunately, there are no plans for the Jets to change that.
Original Source: Icethetics 2019 Jersey Watch